|Betfair's Responsible Gambling Policy
Betfair is committed to endorsing responsible wagering as well as promoting the awareness of problem gambling and improving prevention, intervention and treatment. Betfair's Responsible Gambling Policy sets out its commitment to minimising the negative effects of problem gambling and to promoting responsible gambling practices.
We believe it is our responsibility to you, our customers, to ensure that you enjoy your wagering experience on our site, while remaining fully aware of the social and financial harms associated with problem gambling.
In order to assist our players in gambling responsibly, we ensure that all our staff receive responsible gambling awareness training and we have provided the following information and features on our site.
- Customer driven deposit, transfer and loss limits
- Cooling Off Periods
- Game Session Timers
- Time Out tools
- Self-exclusion tools
- Links to GamCare, Gambling Therapy and other help organisations
- Self help and awareness information
- Information and tools to protect underage access
Please be aware that if you apply a self-exclusion or any player protection tool to your Betfair account it will not automatically apply to your Paddy Power account. If you wish to also self-exclude from Paddy Power, or set a player protection tool you can do so via your Paddy Power account online or alternatively, Customer Services can set this for you.
Functionality is available to set Daily, Weekly or Monthly Deposit Limits. These can be set either when you register for an account or from the 'Player Protection' section of 'My Account' if you are already a customer. Limits can be amended at anytime from within 'Player Protection' section and more detailed information about this functionality can be found there.
Weekly, Monthly or Yearly Loss Limits are also available. These can be set either when you register for an account or from the 'Player Protection' section of 'My Account' if you are already a customer. Limits can be amended at anytime from within and more detailed information about this functionality can be found there.
Loss Limits are available on our Arcade and Vegas Slots, Bingo and Casino and Virtual Sports products. If you would like to update your settings for these products this can be done in the 'Player Protection' section of My Account.
We additionally have Transfer Limits functionality available on our Exchange Games and Poker products to allow you to manage the funds that you transfer into those products.
If you require any further information or assistance regarding any of our Financial Limit functionalities, please contact our Helpdesk.
On our games products, session timer functionality gives you a gentle reminder about how long you have been playing for. The reminder will appear on screen 60 minutes (or after a shorter period if you selected it) after you have placed your first bet, and will give you the option to continue playing or to exit the gaming application.
If you would like any help using this functionality, please contact our Helpdesk.
If you feel the need to take a short break from gambling we offer the ability to 'time out', this enables you to block your account for a 24hr, 48hr, 7 day or 30 day period. During this time you will be unable to bet on any Betfair products. At the end of your selected time period your account will automatically be reopened.
Please note you will not be able to reverse this 'time out' during the period entered.
To take advantage of this restriction please take the following steps:
Login to your Account, Select 'My Account' from the drop down within the Header of the site, Select 'My Betfair Account', Select 'Player Protection' and choose the most appropriate Time Out option for you.
Should you need to take a break from gambling, we provide a self-exclusion facility which can either be set from the 'Player Protection' section of 'My Account', or by our Helpdesk upon request. Self-exclusion means that your account will remain closed for a minimum period of 6 months, and will not be reactivated under any circumstances during the exclusion period (unlike a standard account closure request). A written request (after 6 months has elapsed) is required before account re-opening can be considered.
In addition to self-exclusion, it is also possible for you to elect to restrict your access (under the same conditions as self-exclusion) to the following Betfair products.
- Betfair Arcade and Vegas Slots: go to My Betfair Account and select Player Protection.
- Betfair Casino and Virtual Sports: go to My Betfair Account and select Player Protection.
- Betfair Exchange Games: go to My Betfair Account and select Player Protection.
- Betfair Poker: go to My Betfair Account and select Player Protection.
If you are considering self-exclusion, please remember to contact all gambling companies with whom you have accounts and ask to self-exclude with them too. We also recommend that consideration is given to the installation of software that will allow you to block access to internet gambling websites.
We also strongly recommend that you “unlike” and / or “un-follow” yourself from any Facebook, Twitter or other social media accounts that are linked to Betfair or other gambling operators.
Please contact the Helpdesk if you require any further information or assistance on self-exclusion or individual product restrictions.
If you wish to close your account for any reason other than Self-exclusion please contact our Helpdesk who will be able to assist you. During the time when your account is closed you will be unable to bet on any Betfair products. If you then wish to re-open your account again please contact our Helpdesk.
Whilst the majority of our customers gamble within their means for some it can be more difficult. In order to maintain control of your gambling habits we would like you to bear in mind the following points:
- Gambling should be done in moderation and undertaken as a form of leisure not as a genuine way of making money
- Avoid chasing losses
- Only gamble when you can cover the losses
- Keep track of the time and monitor the amount of money you spend
- If you need help, use the deposit and loss limits tools to help you control the amount you can spend. These can be accessed from within the 'Player Protection' in My Account or you can contact our Helpdesk for assistance.
- Should you need a break from gambling, time out and self-exclusion can be set from the 'Player Protection' in My Account or our Helpdesk will be able to assist you
If you need to talk to someone about any concerns you may have with your gambling, please contact one of the organisations which we have detailed below.
|Do you have a problem?|
If you are concerned that gambling has had a negative impact on your life or someone else's then the following questions may help you find out.
The more questions that you answer 'yes' to, the more likely it is that you are having difficulties with your gambling. To speak with someone who can give you advice and support, please contact one of the organisations detailed below.
- Have others ever criticised your gambling?
- Do you gamble to escape from a boring or unhappy life?
- Do arguments, frustrations or disappointments make you want to gamble?
- Do you gamble alone for long periods?
- Do you stay away from work, college or school to gamble?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount of money or time you spend gambling?
- Have you lied, stolen or borrowed in order to maintain betting habits?
- Are you reluctant to spend 'gambling money' on anything else?
- Have you lost interest in your family, friends or pastimes due to gambling?
- After losing, do you feel that you have to try and win back the losses as soon as possible?
- If you run out of money when gambling, do you feel lost and in despair and feel the need to gamble again as soon as possible?
- Do you gamble until your last penny is gone, even the bus fare home or the cost of a cup of tea?
- Do you feel depressed or even suicidal because of your gambling?
- GamCare, the leading authority providing counselling, advice and practical help in addressing the social impact of gambling in the UK, can be visited at: www.gamcare.org.uk. Its confidential helpline is: Freephone 0808 802 0133. Non-UK residents can contact GamCare for details of International support organisations.
- Gamblers Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who have joined together to do something about their own gambling problem and help other compulsive gamblers do the same. There are regional fellowships around the world. The Gamblers Anonymous international service site is at: www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk.
- Gambling Therapy provides support and counselling for anyone adversely affected by gambling. Members of the Gambling Therapy Team operates from locations both within the UK and internationally. Its site can be accessed at: www.gamblingtherapy.org
It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to open an account or to gamble on Betfair. Betfair takes its responsibilities in this regard very seriously. We carry out age verification checks on all customers who use payment mechanisms which are available to under 18's and additionally perform random age verification checks on customers using other forms of funding mechanisms.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 FOUND TO BE USING THIS SITE WILL HAVE ANY WINNINGS FORFEITED AND MAY ALSO BE REPORTED TO THE POLICE.
Betfair advises and encourages its customers to prevent minors from accessing gambling websites. Filtering solutions allow parents to regulate access to the internet, based on chosen criteria. Parents can use filters to prevent their children from accessing, amongst other things, gambling websites.
If you share your computer with friends or family who are under the legal age to register or bet with our site, please consider parental filtering solutions such as:
Net Nanny™ www.netnanny.com